Picking the right moving company can go a long way in making your moving experience a more manageable experience. Consumers should try to be diligent and detailed. There are certain steps that will make the process less stressful. Being inquisitive never hurts- ask the moving company the right questions that pertain to your move to ascertain whether they’re up for the job.
Most moving companies aren’t transparent with moving costs and don’t offer consumers with a great deal for their money. Unfortunately, relocation firms taint their own reputation by making their clients’ transition more rather than less stressful. Consumers should try to do the following research when looking for movers in NJ and beyond:
1. Check for online reviews- look into the moving company’s online reviews. There are bound to be a few negative reviews- check how the moving company responded to them. Also, feel free to ask them for their side of the story
2. Ask for at least 3 references- make sure you ask the movers you are considering for at least 3 references. Make sure you ask the mover’s previous clients detailed questions pertaining to their move. This will allow you to learn more about the companies you’re considering.
3. Make sure the company has valid state and long distance moving licenses
4. Insist on binding flat rate estimates- hourly movers are more likely to tack on fees that were not agreed upon upfront
5. Make sure a moving representative comes by for an in-home estimate.
6. Pay attention to how quickly, efficiently and professionally the moving companies you are considering answer your questions and concerns
7. Don’t just go for the lowest bidder- if a moving quote seems to be too good to be true don’t fall for it. Cheap is expensive when it comes to moving. You should try to seek a reliable mover at an affordable transparent and binding cost.
8. Ask your realtor, friends and family- chances are someone you know or deal with have had a pleasant moving experience. It makes sense to at least call the movers suggested.
9. Compare mover packages- when comparing moving quotes it makes sense to try to also pay attention to what is included in the rate. Do the number of hours match up (for hourly movers)? How many free boxes are included (if any)? What extra charges could you incur?
10. What techniques and methods does the moving company considered employ to properly protect your belongings? How they deal with claims? Are they able to write an insurance contract? If so, at what extra cost?