Many credit card holders would like to obtain a higher credit card limit. The main purpose for this is that a higher credit card limit enables the purchase of otherwise unaffordable merchandise.
First of all, credit card holders need to remember that to get a higher credit card limit, they must abide by the terms and conditions of the issuing credit card company or bank.
Here are seven tips toward obtaining a higher credit card limit:
1. The most important thing to do toward getting a higher credit card limit is to prove your credit worthiness. This is the first thing that banks and companies look for when approving a higher credit limit.
2. Always spend within your credit card limit. Doing so communicates to your credit card lender that you are capable of controlling your expenses.
3. Use your credit card regularly. Don’t keep your credit cards for emergency use only. If you use your credit cards just occasionally, banks and credit card companies will be unable to understand your spending and payment behavior. By using your credit card minimally, most banks and credit card companies will be reluctant to give you a higher credit card limit.
4. Don’t make minimum payments. Instead, try to pay for the entire outstanding amount. This method of repayment will usually give you a better chance of getting a higher credit card limit.
5. Attract positive attention from the credit card company or bank by paying interest finance charges once in a while. Obviously, this is not advisable on a continual basis and should only be used as a last resort to increase your chances of getting a higher credit limit.
Proving to credit card companies and banks that you are good borrower can be a convincing way to get a higher credit limit. But be careful because this strategy also means that you will be paying finance charges which can accumulate in a hurry.
6. Avoid late payments. Not only will your payment increase, but you will also have to pay an additional fee for late payment. This will also decrease your chances of getting a higher credit card limit.
7. The best and simplest strategy for obtaining a higher credit card limit is to use your credit card wisely. Always keep in mind that credit card companies keep a record of your transactions and payment patterns, so always pay your credit card bill on time.
The bottom line is that your performance on record at your bank and credit card company will determine whether you’ll get a higher credit card limit or not.
And always remember, a higher credit card limit means greater purchasing power, but it also increases the risk of your having to pay greater interest charges and other processing and late fees if you have difficulty repaying the higher balances.