Most people are so thrilled when a friend or family member asks them to be their wedding master of ceremonies. It’s only later that they wonder what does a mc do at a wedding?
The wedding master of ceremonies is basically responsible for ensuring the various events that take place during the wedding reception run in a smooth and orderly fashion and on time.
It is at this point many a prospective wedding mc will start to panic. There is a lot of standing up in front of the wedding guests and making announcements.
After all the wedding mc duties will include making announcements for the arrival of the bridal party, the serving of dinner, the cutting of the wedding cake, the bridal waltz, the tossing of the bouquet and the departure of the bridal couple.
And of course you will also introduce each person who is making a speech or toast.
Even though the wedding master of ceremonies does not make a speech (unless they are also the best man) the thought of speaking up in public fills many with fear and trepidation.
Here are some wedding mc tips to help
- Don’t forget your notes and reading glasses if you need them;
- Take some long deep breaths beforehand. As you exhale tell yourself to relax;
- Hold your head up, look around the room and give everyone a big smile;
- Don’t mumble. If there is no microphone speak loud and clear so everyone can hear you. In the days and weeks before the reception practice projecting your voice. If using a microphone make sure you know how it works.
- Establish eye contact with a person, hold for a few seconds then find someone else to look at;
- Keep your introductions short;
- Wedding mc jokes must not offend or embarrass anyone;
- Speak naturally and in terms all the wedding guests will understand;
- Try to look confident even if you are not feeling it; and
- Accept it is natural to feel a little nervous
And remember the more time you spend planning and organizing for the big day the easier it will be for you to relax and enjoy the occasion.